Friday, April 12, 2013

30 Days: "There's a Big Humongous Scary Monster Under My Bed"



There’s a Big Humongous Scary Monster Under My Bed
By Jennifer Jones Smith 

I know there is a big humongous scary monster under my bed because
I can hear him snore at night.
Sometimes he moans and groans
like he is having a nightmare.
And he smells really bad!

You can never be too careful when you have
a big humongous scary monster under your bed.
If I hang my book over the edge of my bed
Maybe he will take it.
If I dangle my feet over the edge of my bed
Maybe he will tickle my toes.
Or worse, if I peek over the edge of my bed
Maybe he will bite my nose off.
That would look awfully silly!

Maybe he is a slippery slimy monster
With an eyeball in the middle of his forehead.
If he slobbered a wad of slime on me
I’d be trapped in bed forever!
If he is a monster from outer space
he might put me in his flying saucer
and take me far away!
Maybe he is a dinosaur monster
with gigantic teeth like a t-rex.
He could eat me in one huge bite!

I want to get that big humongous scary monster
out from under my bed.
If I turned on my mom’s opera music
and sang along as loud as I could
would he leave or just cover his ears?
If I put my pet tarantula under the bed
would it scare him away
or would he just gobble it up like a snack?
Ah, hah! A snack. That’s an awesome idea!
Mom made my favorite today—peanut butter cookies.
I’ll hide a cookie under my pillow for tonight.

It’s bedtime. Time to get that big humongous scary monster
out from under my bed.     
I’ll make a trail out my door.         [He is breaking the cookie and making a trail from the     
                                                             bed out his door.]

Now I’ll wait in bed until that big humongous scary monster
comes out from under my bed.
SNIFF! SNIFF! SNIFF!                                           [The monster under the bed is sniffing.]
I hope he doesn’t see me.                         [The boy covers his eyes with his hands.]         
CLICK! CLICK! CLICK!                                       [The monsters claws are tapping the floor as he
                                                                         climbs out from under the bed.]
                       
I hope he doesn’t scratch me.                   [Boy puts pillow in front of front of face.]
CRUNCH! MUNCH! CRUNCH!
I hope he doesn’t eat me!                          [Boy hides under bed covers.]
I think he’s outside the door now.
I should shut it.
But what if he gets me?
AAAAAAAA!                                                    [The monster jumps in bed with the boy.]
LICK! LICK! LICK!
Oh, Skippy!
I’m glad YOU were the big humongous scary monster under my bed!

3 comments:

Yamile said...

Cute story! Perfect and fun picture book!

Marion C Steiger said...

So cute. It has just the right amount of scary.

Julie Daines said...

Very fun and just the right amount of intense for a picture book. Loved it!