Monday, November 25, 2013

What Does this Phrase Mean to You?

By Julie Daines

Since I still have a long ways to go to finish NaNo, I'm going to keep this very short.

When I was in New York last week, I visited the New York Public library--you know, the famous one with the two lions out front.

Anyway, I saw this phrase engraved above one of the doors:

Translation: "A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life."

Rather than give you my interpretation, I'd love to hear what you think this means. Or, more specifically, what does this mean to you? Because I think we all take a different meaning based on our own life's experiences.

So take a break and let your mind go somewhere else besides your NaNo story. Think about why you read. Why you write. And tell me, what does this mean to you?

2 comments:

KaseyQ said...

To me, this means that I write my book because I HAVE to write my book. To write the thoughts or stories that are in my head are to give life to who I really am- my inner self- and to save a part of me forever in text, not only just for me but also to possibly be an inspiration or a joy to someone even after I am gone.

Great quotation. :-)

Julie Daines said...

KaseyQ: I love your interpretation. Thanks for your thoughtful comment!