Wednesday, April 11, 2012

30 Days, 30 Stories: Guess I'll Eat This Worm


Guess I’ll Eat This Worm
by Jennifer Jones Smith
 
  
Monday is
Dance day
My tippy-toe-and-prance day.
I slipped, I tripped.
My outfit ripped.
I smashed the sack
That had my snack.
I wondered what to eat.
Roly-polies were my treat!                           (She is outside.)
 
Tuesday is
Bake day.
My Mom-and-I-make-cake day.
My mom was sick.
No bowl to lick.
I tried to fix
A nifty mix.
I gave it my best try
With ants in my mud pie.           (She is outside eating it.)
 
Wednesday is
Play day
My friend-can-come-and-stay day.
She didn’t call.
No fun at all.                                         (She is sitting under a tree with her tea set and dolls.)
A bee stung me
Beneath the tree.
I squished it with a cup,
and then I licked it up.
 
Thursday is
Park day
My listen-to-a-lark day.
Birds took my lunch.
Nothing to munch.
Robbed of my food.
In a bad mood.
It sure does wiggle and squirm.
I guess I’ll eat this worm.
 
Friday is
Book day
My read-and-have-a-look day.
Read about Mouse                             
In the treehouse.
My tummy growled,
And then I scowled.
I left my food inside.
This bug’s the best I’ve tried!            
 
Saturday is
Zoo day
My jump-like-kangaroo day.
Upset my tummy
with food that was yummy.
My trip was done.                                (getting in car)
Missed all the fun.
I tried not to cry.
Then ate a pesky fly!
 
Sunday is
Rest day
My relax-and-not-stress day.
Grandma lives far.
Rode in the car.
My tummy ached.
I hope she baked.
Imagine my surprise
With a feast before my eyes!
“Looks great, Gran,” I said with a hug.
“But do you have a lady bug?”
“No, dear,” she said with a twinkle in her eye.
“But you might enjoy eating the grasshopper pie!”
(There are real grasshoppers sticking out of the fluffy green pie.)



4 comments:

Joseph S. Ramirez said...

This one just might be my new favorite - by sheer virtue of the bugs and the eating of the bugs. :) Bravo.

Celesta said...

This is so fun. I know little girls will love to squeal at the idea of eating bugs. And boys...well, Joseph just summed it up. :-) Thanks for sharing this!

Scott said...

Have you been watching me eat?

Julie Daines said...

This is wonderful. My daughter would love it, she's not much of a princess girl!