Saturday, August 14, 2010

Reading about Writers: "Down a Sunny Dirt Road"

By chance, I came across the autobiography of Stan and Jan Berenstein, arguably two of the greatest children's writers in America. Not only does their book share their live's experiences in becoming children's authors and illustrators, but it is peppered with many of their own drawings from their lives and from their books.

"Down a Sunny Dirt Road" chronicles their intensive training by none other than Dr. Seuss himself as they learn what it takes to write beginning books for children. I felt myself being tutored by the delightful, demanding, charming, and difficult Ted Geisel. I loved watching (and reading) the Berensteins develop into the authors we know them as now. Not only do I have a greater appreciation of them, I feel like I've been tutored by them.

So check out "Down a Sunny Dirt Road" and see what the Berensteins and their bears have to teach you about writing for children.

3 comments:

Scott said...

That's so cool. I love reading about authors and their processes. Two of my favorite books along those lines are a bio of Douglas Adams (I think it was called Hitchhiker) and John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath journal.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for this one.

Laura Lofgreen said...

I can't wait to check it out. THank you for sharing and visit me at www.mydeartrash.blogspot.com. Take care.

Okie said...

This sounds like great fun. I love the Berensteins. :)