Friday, March 8, 2013

Everything You'll Ever Need To Know About Conflict

by Scott Rhoades

I really enjoyed Deren's post about organic conflict on Wednesday. I was about to comment on it when I decided to use my comment for my post this week.

So here it is:conflict, protagonists, and antagonists explained in 35 words.

We are both nice people. The last cookie is sitting on the counter. You want it. I want it. Boom: conflict! In my story, you are now a villain because you want what I want. 

You are no longer a nice person because you are trying to keep me from getting what I want. In your story, our roles are flipped. All because we want the same thing. We're both being selfish, looking after our self interests.

OK, that example fits Deren's example of a contrived conflict, but it's not really about the particular object of desire. It's that we both want it, and that puts us at odds. The higher the stakes, the richer the conflict, and the better the story.

Stay tuned for the rest of Deren's series of posts about conflict. Based on his first one, I think we'll all really know what we need to know about conflict.

5 comments:

Julie Daines said...

Scott, you can have the cookie. That's how nice I am.

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...

Now, you've made me the bad guy. I can be nicer than you. You take the cookie. Uh oh, more conflict. The plot thickens with a complication.

Julie Daines said...

Take the cookie or everyone you've ever cared about will die.

Is that the kind of conflict you're talking about?

Scott said...

You keep the cookie. By the way, I have the milk.