Saturday, December 22, 2012

Season's greetings

-->

I don’t really have a topic to write on today. ‘Tis the season, but the loss of innocents has put a damper on the festive mood reserved for this time of year. Why do we do these things to ourselves? Answers seem elusive. We are a culture of gun violence. Unfortunately, we will have to learn to accept such episodes until we re-examine our principals.

As it seems impossible to solve, at least we can take minds off of it. We have language and we are imaginative. We can create stories. We write for kids.

Are you working on a story? I’m involved with two of them and the distraction from the senselessness and the punditry is completely welcome. My latest project has something there. It’s still a WIP, but I can get lost in it. Today is NaNo - day 52. I’m 30,000 words shy, but at least I’m finding story.

My other diversion is an old project; a re-vise after my critique group went through the beta-read. Being away from it for November and part of this month was good. I just revisited it today. The goal was to finish this rewrite and have it ready to push in the new year.

The brain likes two stories going on at once. Each slows the other from completion, but letting them both stew is good. You stir one for a while then put the lid back on and stir the other. Dive into a story, a different life and the crazy real world recedes into the background. I like two pots bubbling on the stove.

Season’s greetings. May you find the peace a good story affords and the time to escape into it.

No comments: