Sunday, December 16, 2012

Believe in Yourself and Your Books



Joining us today is Author Shirley Kufeldt. After growing up with four sisters in Illinois, then raising two daughters, Shirley Kufeldt and her husband left Illinois and her daughters to retire to Northern Wisconsin in 2007. Having participated in Bible studies for over 30 years and hearing of the efforts of so many others over the years to document their personal walk of faith, she developed the Bible Bites series.



Believe in Yourself and Your Books 
by Shirley Kufeldt
 
All my life I’ve worked as an office admin, many times as a temp as our two daughters grew up. I’ve switched careers now and compile Bible verses for publication in small topical devotional journals called BIBLE BITES. Reading one or two topical verses each day and writing down your prayer response to Scripture is what BIBLE BITES is all about.

My first writer’s tip is to research something that you want to learn. I participated in a support group to learn about codependency, learning that what you fear controls you. Two simple examples: First, A students study hard, fearful of poor grades and less-than-desirable employment. Second, we diligently work at employment, fearing job loss.

Like many others I feared angry people, till I finally discovered the source of my fears: my second grade teacher shook me over a homework assignment. An angry comment by any authority figure turned me into a fearful seven-year and I was easily manipulated for 45 years.

My second tip for writers is to realize you are who you are five years from now unless two things change: the books that you read and the people you spend your time with. “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always be what you’ve always been,” is quite true. 

Imagine your current relationships five years from now. Are they great? Can communication be improved? Are you ready for a career change? What books are you reading and who do you hang out with? What are you willing to change that will improve your life? What are you afraid of changing? And do you know why?

My third tip for writers is that happiness is the result of doing something significant with your life. By examining the fears in your life, the books and relationships that bring you joy or grief, you have the opportunity for significant changes. During the years I attended a support group, I definitely changed the books I read (my Bible) while meeting new people who overcame similar challenges. 

Each support group meeting brought new opportunities for those who chose to change, reading, doing homework, participating in discussions and applying new skills. But no discipline is enjoyable while it is happening—it’s painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way Hebrews12:11(NLT)

Journaling in BIBLE BITES devotionals enhances your relationship with God, matures your faith and is a significant aid in conquering fears. After years in support group, the result is a unique happiness by doing something significant with my life for the BIBLE BITES series. I choose Bible verses for specific topics and compile them for publication.

*******************

BIBLE BITES booklets are small pocket-sized monthly journals that include current prayer requests and focused daily Scripture for journaling and reflection.   
Places where your book(s) are available for sale:
(Verses come from the New Living Translation)



You can find out more about Shirley Kufeldt and her books at http://tinyurl.com/bb3ofxd
 
Thank you Shirley for sharing your thoughts today.

No comments: