Thursday, January 20, 2011

Time. It's Priceless.



"Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you." ~ Carl Sandburg ~

Time.
It's what we complain about lacking no matter where we are in life or what we are doing.
Time.
It doesn't matter that every single person has 24 hours in a day.  Yours is much shorter than mine, right?
What can we do about making time for writing?
Did you catch that?
I wrote "making time" not "finding time." There is a difference.
Writing is a choice.
Sometimes it's easier to choose to read and answer emails. Or check on my friends on Facebook. Or watch Castle.
Those are all good choices, come on!
But I really, really want to finish my WIP. How about you?

Here's a few ideas to help you make time for writing:
Choose writing-Need I say more?
Find the best time of day-When are you more productive? 5:30 AM? Midnight? For me it's after the kids go to school. The house is quiet, my tummy is full and I'm ready to write.
Write during your best time of day-Stay focused! Write. Edit. Whatever you're doing for your writing, stay in the zone.
Turn off the Internet, turn off your phone, turn off your email-For me I have to turn off my little email icon. It loves to remind me of all the cool people who like me and write to me.
Reward yourself-After you've accomplished your writing goal for the day you'll feel exhilarated. That's reward enough! I like to reward myself with turning my email back on and eating some chocolate.

Do you have any tips on making time for writing?

No comments: