Tuesday, April 9, 2013

30 Days: "The Waiter"


The Waiter
By Lana Krumwiede

I’ll serve you soup but not spaghetti.
I’ll bring you ice cream when you’re ready.
I’ll dish up pudding smooth and sweet.
But I’ll never cut your meat.

When we’re in a formal setting,
I’ll thank you not to be forgetting
To put me in my place beside
That slender, tall, sharp-looking guy.



Lana Krumwiede is the author of Freakling, a middle-grade science fiction novel which is Book One in The Psi Chronicles (Candlewick, 2012). Freakling is a Whitney Award finalist and a Crystal Kite finalist. Book Two, Archon, will be released in October of 2013. Lana has also published over 50 poems and stories in magazines such as The Friend, Cricket, Highlights, and High Five. In fact, one of her stories is in this month’s issue of The Friend.  A former resident of Utah and Idaho, Lana now lives in Richmond, Virginia. You can learn more about her books at www.lanakrumwiede.com .

3 comments:

Julie Daines said...

Nice!

Marion Steiger said...

How fun to have kids recite this when they set a formal table. Cute, fun and helpful.

Yamile said...

Marion, what a great idea!

I love this cute rhyme!