Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"Inspiration"



I used to think I had to wait for big bursts of “inspiration” in order to write. But I found that my most productive writing spurts were when I was bored. I had nothing else to distract my thoughts and so they went to writing and my invented world made up for my boring reality.

Unfortunately, adult life generally leaves little space for boredom. It didn’t take me long to realize that if I waited around for “inspiration” while running around my busy life, then I was never going to get any writing done.

Luckily, I figured out what had been true all along: “inspiration” came when I gave myself time to focus on my story. If I can make myself sit down and just write gosh-darn-it and give myself enough time to really get into that flow state—then the “inspiration” came. I can make my “inspiration” happen if I want it to.

It takes discipline. I don’t have any kids yet so I probably don’t know the half of it, but when I set a New Year’s resolution to wake up early and write every morning, I did not realize how hard that would be most mornings. To say I’m not a morning person would be something of an understatement. But I finally caved because it’s so wonderful to write at a time of day when there’s nothing to distract you. Except for maybe your lovely bed.

I am far from keeping my New Year’s resolution perfectly. But I’ve learned that the key is to remember that I can always start over. No need to give up because you’ve failed to keep your goal for a day or two, or even much longer (guilty). We can always start again today getting those juices flowing, getting that stuff to come out of you! Because we all know how great it feels when you really get into it and the time is just passing and you don’t even know it and all of a sudden you’re late for work (also guilty). But it’s so worth it!

So here’s to lots of “inspiration” in our future—the kind that we make happen every day.

1 comment:

Scott said...

For me, most of the time when I have a "big idea," it turns out to not work as well on the page anyway. What works is sitting down and writing the next scene.

Good post!