Thursday, February 6, 2014

To be like children

The other other I came across this article:


http://www.cbsnews.com/news/thirteen-year-old-author-writes-own-success-story/

This is the story of Jake, who's 13, and wrote a book last summer. Not only that, but after he was done writing, he researched ways to be published. When he found out he needed an agent, he started... calling. Cold calling.
Luckily, Jake had a great book, and once one of the industries top agents read it, (Daniel Lazar!!!!), he signed Jake on the spot. Jake's book, Just Jake #1, came out last Tuesday.

Here in Utah, we have our own prodigy. Mackenze Wagner was only 11 years old when her book, Benotripia, The Rescue, was published by Cedar Fort. She has three books out right now. Not only is Mackenzie a great writer, she is also one of the bravest kids I know. She loves doing school assemblies to talk about her books and books in general. She also does several signing events all over the valley (ies), especially on Saturdays. I met her one day at the Sandy Costco. She was super sweet and confident. She looked just right in front of a table signing books.
MckenzieWagner, author

This is her facebook page: Benotripia The Rescue

I clearly remember what it was like to be a kid again. I was one of those who spent hours writing and hoping to be a published author one day. It wasn't until my late, late twenties that I finally decided to reach my goal and started my first novel. For real. I'm still trying to break through, but I'm so much closer to my goal than I was that night I started my first novel.

If there's anything I get out of these stories, of these kids' example, is that if you want something, you have to keep at it, go at it. But there's no way I'll be calling any agents though. After years of practicing, I think I got an okay query letter.


No comments: