Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sarah's Super Series Suggestions: "The Girl of Fire and Thorns" by Rae Carson

(note: I have spent the last 10 minutes trying to get Blogger to format my post correctly with no success! ugh! I'll keep trying. Until then, I apologize for the strange font sizes)

A couple of months ago while killing time online, I stumbled over to Tiffany Dominguez's blog "Scribble by Moonlight" and started reading through her book reviews. I pulled up a second window on my internet browser and started requesting her 5 star books from my library as fast as I possibly could. Some of the books came right away, while others I am still waiting for.


"The Girl of Fire and Thorns" by Rae Carson came fairly quickly. I took a few days before I started reading it (had to finish the other ones I had started), but once I started it, I read it in one day.

Here's the part of book reviews where I wonder how many times can I use or infer the word: SUPER-TERRIFIC-AWESOME without being redundant. For this series, not enough is the correct answer.

This book is Rae Carson's debut novel! Her first one ever! Um, can I just pretend to be her for awhile?!? Or maybe not her, but just like her??

Here's what the book jacket says about it (the publisher says it better than I do):



Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.

Elisa has always felt powerless, useless. Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king who needs her to be the chosen one, not a failure of a princess. And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies, seething with dark magic, are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could save his people. And he looks at her in a way no man has ever looked at her before. Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn't die young.

Most of the chosen do.

I felt such a sense of loss after I finished the book. I wasn't ready to be done with Elisa and her journey. Can you imagine my GLEE when I discovered that there is a SECOND BOOK!?!? It was like my birthday & Christmas together. I quickly put a hold on the book and used my immense brain power to will the 6 library patrons before me on the hold list to read quickly so I wouldn't have to wait any longer than I had to.  

Three agonizing weeks later, "The Crown of Embers" arrived. I read it in less than a day. Here's what the publisher says about the second book: 



She does not know what awaits her at the enemy's gate.

Elisa is a hero. She led her people to victory over a terrifying, sorcerous army. Her place as the country's ruler should be secure. But it isn't.

Her enemies come at her like ghosts in a dream, from both foreign realms and within her own court. And her destiny as the chosen one has not yet been fulfilled.

To conquer the power she bears once and for all, Elisa must follow the trail of long-forgotten--and forbidden--clues from the deep, undiscovered catacombs of her own city to the treacherous seas. With her goes a one-eyed spy, a traitor, and the man who--despite everything--she is falling in love with.

If she's lucky, she will return from this journey. But there will be a cost.


Glory be, there is a THIRD book! Due out in the middle of August called "The Bitter Kingdom." CANNOT. WAIT. FOR. IT!!! 



Rae Carson is one of those amazing authors who actually responded to my gushing post on her Facebook fan page. She said I was sweet. I envied her even more. She was glad I like them. Like? Did I say "like"? Didn't I say "I want to MARRY these books?!" Didn't I say "I want to be you when I grow up?!?" 



So here's some useful links for you:

Amazon

Rae Carson.com

Rae Carson's Facebook page

Now what are you waiting for?? Go get them! You won't regret them.

Recommended for ages 12 and up.


No comments: