Monday, February 11, 2013

What Filming Taught Me About Knowing Your Characters

By Julie Daines

I've always considered myself very well acquainted with my characters. After all, we've lived together in my head for several years. I know what they like and hate, what bugs them, and what they really want from life. I thought that was enough.

Until now.

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been working with a film director to create a book trailer for my latest release--A Blind Eye. It's been a very eye-opening (pun intended) experience to look at my story and characters from a visual/film perspective. The director is asking me a lot of questions that are making me rethink my relationship with my characters. 

What would Christian have hanging from his rearview mirror that tells us something about who he is? What might be laying on the seat beside him that gives us a glimpse into his personality? What music would he be listening to as he drives away? (Okay, that one I can answer.) What would he . . . 

Anyway, as we went through some of these questions, I thought: These little details give wonderful insight into my character and would be great in the book too! They are a perfect way to show who your character is without telling.

Someone once said you should understand your characters so thoroughly, you know what secret object they have hidden in the back of their closet. 

How well do you know your characters?

1 comment:

Bruce Luck said...

You'd think after spending so much time with them, we would have an understanding about our characters.
I'm not sure what mine have hidden in their closet.