In addition to shelves full of writing books and other useful stuff that is behind me when I'm at my desk, I keep several books on a little shelf on my desk. They are:
- The American Heritage Dictionary
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- Roget's Super Thesaurus
- Webster's Dictionary of English Usage
- Word Nerd
- Fowler's Modern English Usage (Second Edition, 1965)
- Webster's Instant Word Guide
Admittedly, I rarely use any of these. The Internet is at my fingertips, after all. But I feel better having them close by.
How about you? Which books do you keep nearby?
On to another subject, today's free Friday Nook book in the Barnes & Noble shop is Don't Know Much About Mythology by Kenneth C. Davis. This is a good addition to every writer's (and reader's) library. Pick it up while you can get it for nuthin'!